Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cognate Pairs


Spencer has been having fun with the voiced and non-voiced cognate pairs of phonemes in English (for example, /p/ and /b/; /k/ and /g/; /f/ and /v/; /t/ and /d/;/s/ and /z/).

What particularly intrigued him was how we are able to distinguish between these pairs when whispering . . . since when whispering we are by definition using only air and not a "voice." He concluded that we solve the problem by whispering a "voiced" cognate with a little more force or accent than a "non-voiced" one. However, the whispered sounds are extremely close!

Being a typical teenaged big brother, he then put his experimentation to good use by writing down the following phrases and asking Maritza (his little sister) to whisper them. She was quite impressed! :) To see why, try whispering these with a Middle Eastern accent (not sure why that was necessary, but it seemed to be part of the fun!)

Ay-ahm-feree-tum
Aymah-rehdart
Ay-kod-noh-prainz
Ay-ahm-zdubit

2 comments:

  1. Hmm it seеmѕ likе yοur website ate my first
    comment (it was supeг long) so I guеѕs I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying
    уour blog. I as wеll аm an aspіring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips for newbie blog writers? I'ԁ reаllу
    aрpreсiаte it.

    Heге is my ωеblog piles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reaply like what you guys are usually up too.

    Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the great works guys I've added you guys to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete